Clark, Todd win Scott Tinley's Adventures Off Road Extreme
Jon Clark, who raced the very first edition of this race in 1997, won the long course men's title and Jennifer Todd won the women's long course crown at Scott Tinley's Adventures.
Posted: Sunday, October 2, 2011
LOPEZ LAKE, California -- Jon Clark, a 37-year-old fitness trainer and extreme endurance athlete from Rancho Santa Margarita, California and Jennifer Todd, 36, a pro mountain biker from Newbury Park, California, won the men's and women's titles at Scott Tinley's Adventures Off-Road Extreme long course triathlon.
Clark, who raced the very first Scott Tinley's Adventures off road triathlon here in 1997, had a tough, race-long, back and forth duel with Eric Miller, 32, of Lafayette, California that wasn't decided until the last mile of the rugged half mile swim, 17-mile mountain bike and 6 mile trail run.
On a swim course that appeared to be longer than the advertised half mile, Clark broke out fast with a 17:55 swim that gave him a 1:37 advantage on Miller. Miller then blasted past with a race-best 1:10:07 bike that was 8:52 faster than Clark. On the tough trail run, Clark's 40:23 run took back 8:02 from Miller and vaulted him past his rival in the final yards.
At the finish, Clark's 1:20:00 time was 24 seconds better than Miller.
Clark had a wide smile, fueled a but by nostalgia, at the finish. "I did my first Scott Tinley's race here 14 years ago in 1997," said Clark. "So it is nice to be back. It hasn’t changed too much. I am a little bit older. But the challenge is still here and so is the fun."
In the women's race, 16-year-old Altadena., California phenom Hannah Rae Finchamp blasted into the overall lead over the men after a 15:01 swim and a quick dash up the first hill near the beach. But on the 17-mile bike, Finch's off road skills that have given her age group titles at the 2010 XTERRA World Championship and at the 2011 XTERRA USA National Championship were not enough to hold on to her 6:26 lead after the swim and hold off 36-year-old pro mountain biker Jennifer Todd. Todd's blazing 1:22:46 ride caught up to Finch on a technical uphill on the far end of the 17-mile course and by the finish of that leg the veteran had out sped Finch by 16:13 and had established a `10-minute lead. While Finch's 46:03 6-mile run outpaced Todd by 2:10, Todd's 2:35:38 final time outpaced her young rival by 6 minutes 18 seconds.
While Todd left swiftly after the race, Finchamp had praise for her rival. " She got me on some technical uphills on the backside of the bike course," said Finchamp. "She was a very strong woman, and was very nice when I spoke with her after the race. She used to race pro mountain bike for Cannondale and it was amazing to watch her ride away.".
In the Off-Road Sprint Distance race, the women had the closest duel of the day.
Catlin Chapman, 24, the home town favorite of nearby San Luis Obispo, eventually prevailed in a race-long duel with 17-year-old high school student Anna Beraud of Atascadero that came down to the finishing chute. Beraud broke fast in the quarter mile swim, taking a 4:47 advantage with her 7:52 effort in Lake Lopez. Beraud added 1:55 to her lead with a much-swifter-than-Chapman's 3:41 transition. On the bike, the much more experienced Chapman's 53:14 split brought her to a 30-seconds lead, but she gave it away with another slow transition that Beraud bettered by 1:18. On the run, Chapman's 29:36 3-mile run just caught Beraud's 30:13 effort in the finish chute.
At the line, Chapman's 1:41:30 was just six seconds better than Beraud.
"This was just my second triathlon," said Beraud. "I am a swimmer mostly, but my dad and my brother work me out on bike. I was pretty much all alone and I didn't realize that girl was behind me until the chute. This definitely encourages me to do more triathlons and I am very happy all this training paid off."
In the men's sprint race, Connor Sousa, a 20-year-old Cal Poly sophomore from Mentone, California, finished in 1:19:13 and topped 49-year-old Blake Reed of nearby Grover Beach, California by 1 minute and 25 seconds. Sousa raced to a 2:04 lead with his 7:40 swim, added 31 seconds in the first transition, gave back 4 minutes to Reed's 45:02 bike, then took charge with a 20:55 run that bested Reed by 3:11.
Sousa was stoked about his win. "I've been doing triathlons a couple of years but this was my first off road tri. I never rode a mountain bike before. But I had a blast and the course was beautiful and the landscape was awesome."
Scott Tinley's Adventures
October 2, 2011
Lopez Lake, California
Off-Road Extreme Triathlon
S . 5 mi. / MTB 17 Mi. / TR 6 mi.
1. Jon Clark (Rancho Santa Margarita CA) 2:20:00 * M35-39
2. Eric Miller (Lafayette CA) 2:20:24 * M30-34
3. Tim Foley (Pleasanton CA) 2:29:16 * M30-34
4. Monte Mitchell (Visalia CA) 2:29:26 * M40-44
5. Michael Cowdrey (Aliso Viejo CA) 2:32:03 * M40-44
6. Mike Frick (Tucson AZ) 2:34:33 * M45-49
7. Kyle Soutar (Sunnyvale CA) 2:40:29 * M20-24
8. Rob Butner (Union City CA) 2:41:07 * M30-34
9. Mike Claytor (Santa Barbara CA) 2:42:33 * M30-34
10. Stepan Paul (Goleta CA) 2:52:53 * M25-29
1. Jennifer Todd (Newbury Park CA) 2:35:38 * F35-39
2. Hannah Rae Finchamp (Altadena CA) 2:41:56 * F16-19
3. Sloane Pellegrin (Santa Barbara CA) 2:55:29 * F25-29
4. Cindy Jackson (Santa Barbara CA) 3:12:48 * F45-49
5. Danilu Ramirez (Pismo Beach CA) 3:32:48 * F25-29
6. Brittany Thibault (Paso Robles CA) 4:33:34 * F25-29
7. Jennifer Macninch (Monterey CA) 4:34:04 * F25-29
Off Road Sprint Distance
S .25 mi. / B 12 mi. / R 3 mi.
1. Connor Sousa (Mentone CA) 1:19:13 * M20-24
2. Blake Reed (Grover Beach CA) 1:20:38 * M45-49
3. Paul Young (Arroyo Grande CA) 1:29:25 * M45-49
4. Matt Osborne (Pismo Beach CA) 1:29:33 * M35-39
5. Steven Budke (San Luis Obispo CA) 1:35:05 * M45-49
6. James Shupe (Santa Barbara CA) 1:36:23 * M35-39
7. Howard McClary (San Luis Obispo CA) 1:36:41 * M50-54
8. Trevor Povah (San Luis Obispo CA) 1:37:09 * M30-34
9. Ted Weisse (Ventura CA) 1:37:17 * M30-34
10. Matt Hoffman (Atascadero CA) 1:37:24 * M30-34
1. Caitlin Chapman (San Luis Obispo CA) 1:41:30 * F20-24
2. Anna Beraud (Atascadero CA) 1:41:36 * F16-19
3. Marguerite Harris (Arroyo Grande CA) 1:41:37 * F40-44
4. Carlyn Hinds (Nipomo CA) 1:50:41 * F45-49
5. Liz Groom (Santa Barbara CA) 1:50:49 * F40-44
6. Diana Wilburn (Grass Valley CA) 1:53:19 * F50-54
7. Julie Olds (Los Angeles CA) 1:53:37 * F45-49
8. Kristi Howell (San Mateo A) 1:57:38 * F25-29
9. Jenny Schatzle (Santa Barbara CA) 1:59:07 * F30-34
10. Heidi Boynton (Santa Cruz CA) 1:59:53 * F40-44