Frequently Asked Questions
We have posted the most common questions received in our office for your convenience. Please read these over prior to e-mailing or contacting us, your question is likely related to one of the answers below. Click through each topic to get answers to many of our commonly asked questions.
- How do I register a relay team?
- On the registration page follow the link to the Relay Team Application. All three legs of the relay must register individually with the same Team Name. (If one person is doing two legs of the relay they must sign up twice)
- What do I need for Registration/Packet Pick Up?
- Prior to race weekend, verify that your registration information is correct on the Participants Lists . You must bring a photo ID to packet pick up. (If you are a USAT member, you must bring your current USAT card). Each participant must pick up his/her own race packet. Friends/Family CAN NOT pick up race packets for each other. *Each member of relay teams must pick up his/her race packet. One relay member CAN NOT pick up all of the packets for the entire team.
- Do you give discounts for youth participants?
- Yes, there is a discount for "Youth" athletes (those 17 and under) and pricing is posted on the Registration Info page for your review.
- Will I receive a confirmation packet?
- No. All confirmations will be sent via e-mail. Until you receive your confirmation e-mail you can check the web site for the information. It is also a good idea to check the Participants List to see if you name appears for this event. Be aware that it can take up to 5 days for your name to appear, so check back often.
- Do you allow race day registration?
- Yes, there will be race day registration at the Packet Pick Up Tent.
- After registering for your event, I find I cannot participate. What are my options? Do you give refunds?
- View our Cancellation Policy
- May I give or sell my slot to someone else?
- All entries are non-transferable. Tri-California allows for a certain rate of attrition at each event. If an applicant would like to make a change before the deadline, this refers to switching their entry from one distance to another within an event (if there are still slots available in each race), they may do so, keeping in mind that a processing fee will be included in that decision. The processing fee to perform a switch from one distance to another within the same event is $20.00. Thank you for respecting our policy. Participants found racing under another persons name will be disqualified and both entrants will reported to USA Triathlon for disciplinary action which can include being suspended from any USAT event for 1 year.
- Are there any benefits to registering early?
- Definitely, there is a fee increase as the race dates approach. Also, with our online registration, our events are selling out much more quickly, so the risk of not getting in has increased somewhat.
- May I register my friend online with my credit card?
- No, each person must register online for themselves. They may register using your credit card number and expiration date with your approval, however they must register themselves. The reason is that the waiver must be read and agreed to by the participant. An email confirmation will be sent to the email address submitted, as soon as the transaction is final. Keep a copy for your records.
- My injury and cancellation occurred after the deadline to receive an event credit, what are my options?
- On a case by case basis you may receive a credit to another event if you email our Director of Registration at least 72 hours prior to the event and you fax a report from your doctor to 831-373-7731. All decisions are at the discretion of the race director.
- What are the distances for the Triathlon at Pacific Grove?
- A relay team must consist of at least two members (one person CAN NOT compete in all three legs of a relay). All relay team members must check in at registration to pick up their race packet. (Relay members CAN NOT pick up race packets for their teammates) A relay team will be assigned one bib number: the swimmer will pick up the swim cap and timing chip, the biker will pick up the bike number and helmet stickers and the runner will pick up the bib number. Relay teams will transfer the timing chip and ankle strap by their assigned bike rack. (The timing chip is the "baton") All three relay members will receive a finisher medal.
- Where do all of the race numbers go?
- At registration you will receive several race numbers, bike ties and safety pins. There are no numbers or tags for the swim portion of the event. The bike number is secured to your bike frame using bike ties (road bike numbers must be visible from the sides, mountain bike numbers must be visible from the front). Helmet stickers should be placed accordingly: 1 sticker - front of the helmet, 2 stickers- front and back of helmet, 3 stickers- front, back and side of helmet. Bib numbers should be worn on the front of the body and worn during the run portion of the event.
- How do I use my Timing Tag?
- At registration, all participants will be issued a timing tag. Interlace the timing tag on a black Velcro ankle strap (at chip verification) and securely fastened Velcro ankle strap AND timing tag to your left ankle. Participants' times will be recorded as you cross the red mats at each timing location: Swim In, Bike Out, Bike In, Run Out and the Finish Line. Tags and Ankle straps will be collected by volunteers at the finish line.
- What do I do with my timing tag if it is not returned at the finish line?
- There is a $20 fee for all tags not collected within 30 days. Please mail your timing tag in a padded envelope to the address below:
179 Niblick Rd #184
Paso Robles, CA 93446
- Are wetsuits allowed?
- Yes, full and sleeveless wetsuits are allowed, but not required.
- What is the water temperature at Pacific Grove?
- Approximately 55-60 degrees.
- Is the Triathlon at Pacific Grove a looped course?
- Yes, the triathlon is very spectator friendly and the course loops through the most spectacular views of Pacific Grove. Please click here for a detailed course description.
- Are there Course Closures for the Triathlon at Pacific Grove?
- Olympic Course
Swim- 11:00 AM - 1.25 hours after the last swim relay wave
Bike- 12:15 PM - 2.5 hours after the last swim wave
Run- 2:00 PM - 4.25 hours after the last swim wave
Swim- 9:55 AM - 45 minutes after the last wave
Bike- 11:25 AM - 2.25 hours after the last swim wave
Run- 12:25 PM - 3.25 hours after the last swim wave
- What products will be available on course?
- PowerBar, PowerGel and the PowerBar Beverage System and water will be the official products on course (not all aid stations will have all products)
- When do I have to rack my bike in the transition area?
- To respect all racing triathletes, all participants must have their bicycles racked and their transition area set up when the first wave begins at 7:30 a.m on Saturday, and 8:40 a.m on Sunday.
- Is your credit card site secure?
- Is Tri-California offering any instructional camps or clinics for the Triathlon at Pacific Grove?
- Yes. Tri-California will be offering a half day "Kelp Swim" clinic.
- Will there be vendors, first timer meetings, or other activities at Lover's Point?
- Yes, the expo will be open Friday from Noon-7 pm , Saturday from 7 am to 4 pm and Sunday from 7 am to Noon
- Is the Triathlon at Pacific Grove USAT sanctioned event?
- Where is Pacific Grove?
- Pacific Grove is located in the Monterey Bay south of San Francisco and San Jose.
- If my wetsuit is lost in the transition area on race day, what should I do?
- Check the lost and found dept. at the Information Booth in the Festival Area. Please leave your name and where you can be reached with a Tri-California staff person, if it has not already been turned in so we can reach you. Under no circumstances should you take someone else's wetsuit. You may also email or call Tri-California after the race to receive more help finding your item. Email Lost & Found or call (831) 373-0678.
- May I call the Tri-California office if I want additional help?
- Yes, the friendly staff is always willing to help, but please check our website first, www.tricalifornia.com Many of the questions you have will be answered online. Our main office phone is 831-373-0678
- Can I ship ship my bike?
- Yes, there is local bike shop, Winning Wheels, in Pacific Grove that will receive and ship bikes. Please contact Winning Wheels at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Is there a bike mechanic onsite?
- Yes, two expo vendors, DT Swiss and Sportsbasement will have someone during all expo hours to do general bike maintenance.
- Where can I watch race Morning?
- The Pacific Grove Triathlon is an exciting event to watch. The transition area is closed to participants only however, there are many excellent viewing areas for each leg of the event. During the race you can also enjoy the Sports Expo which is open throughout the day and is free to the public.
Swim- Participants will come out of the water and run along the Lovers Point beach for the swim loop.
Bike- Announcers will be at the bike exit/loop turn around point in the triangular parking lot, on the north west side of the transitions area.
Run- Runners will exit the transition area to the south near Forest Avenue.
Finish - The finish line is located in the south parking lot near Forrest Avenue.
- Are there are any fees to watch the Triathlon?
- No. Family and friends are encouraged to come watch the race and enjoy the festivities at Lover's Point and the Expo area.
- Is there food available on site?
- Yes, coffee and smoothies will be available in the expo area.
- Can I bring my pet?
- In an effort to keep the event area safe and clean, pets are not advised at the Pacific Grove Triathlon.
- Can I purchase an event souvenir?
- Yes, Official event merchandise will be available at the Tri-California Merchandise Tent or click here for the online store. The latest in triathlon gear and apparel is also available from Tri-California and other vendors.
- Where can I park race Morning?
- Parking is very limited near the staging area. Spectators and participants are encourage to park at one of the following locations:
(1) Pacific Grove Middle School near Hillcrest Ave
(2) On Pine Street (between Walnut Street and 1st Street)
(3) On Lighthouse Ave. (between Pacific Street and Asilomar Blvd.)
(4) Del Monte Blvd
(5) Bay View Avenue
*Parking information is the same for Saturday and Sunday.
View The Triathlon at Pacific Grove- Parking in a larger map
- I have family coming that would like to volunteer where you need help. How can they get involved?
- Volunteers are able to get involved with the race while having fun watching family and friends. If you are interested in volunteering please click here to sign up online. One of our race committee members will contact you about 15-30 days prior to the race.
- I'm interested in having an expo booth at your event, what is my first step?
- Great! We have an Exhibitor information sheet posted on our website that details out the dates, # of participants, # of spectators and the price for each event. There is also an Exhibitor Application you can submit on-line. For further details or if you have a specific question email our Expo Director, or call 831-373-0678.
- How can our business become a sponsor?
- Partnership agreements are customized to meet your companies marketing goals. For detailed information email our Director of Partnerships or call the office at 805-239-8225.